Check Credentials

If anyone approaches you about taking fill onto your property - either for free or for payment - ask them for proof of identity (such as a drivers licence) and/ or business details (such as an ABN or ACN). If you have any doubts, contact Council or the EPA.

Councils and EPA have investigated incidents where unscrupulous operators offered landholders 'clean fill' but delivered fill that was contaminated with building and demolition waste, harmful chemicals or asbestos.

Unscrupulous operators may dump the fill and then disappear, leaving the landholder with a contaminated site and significant clean-up costs.

Landowners and occupants can be ordered to remove unapproved fill and pay the costs of taking it to a lawful waste facility.