Reporting a Lost or Stray Animal

Should you find a lost or stray animal

  • During business hours phone Camden Council on 4654 7777, Monday - Friday, 8.30am - 5pm.
  • Outside of business hours
    • Contact your local vet
    • Surrender the dog to Canterbury-Bankstown Branch Pound 651 Bringelly Road Rossmore (Rear of Rossmore Veterinary Hospital) during their operation hours, or
    • If possible, secure the dog in your yard and contact Camden Council on the next business day. 
  • Emergency Situations: Council’s after hours service is only available for emergency situations involving a dangerous dog roaming or where a dog attack is occurring. Council's after hours service is provided by calling 4654 7777.


The Companion Animals Act 1998 requires that your dog must be adequately contained on your property. If your dog is in a public place and not in one of Council’s designated off leash area, it must be under the effective control of some competent person by means of an adequate chain, cord or leash that is attached to the dog and that is being held by the person.

Finding a lost dog

Any person can seize a dog that is in a public place and is not under the control of a person. Only an authorised person (Ranger or Police Officer) may seize a dog if the owner is present.

Any dog that is seized by a member of the public, is required to return the animal to its owner as soon as possible (if known) or you may transport the dog to an approved premises being a Veterinary Clinic or Councils Animal Care Facility. During Council’s business hours you may contact Council on 02 4654 7777 and make arrangements for the animal to be collected. Please be advised, if Council collect the dog you must be present on collection.

It is also possible to report a stray dog using Council's free app. The app can be downloaded through the Apple Store and Google Play. Search for the app by typing in 'Our Camden'.

Any person, who seizes a dog and does not return it to its owner or notify Council, is guilty of an offence, which may incur a fine. No person is authorised to hold onto a dog for a period of time.


Council does not seize stray, feral or roaming cats.

Under the Companion Animals Act 1998 cats are permitted to roam but are prohibited in the following public places:

  • Food preparation/consumption areas, and
  • Wildlife protection areas.

Any person may also lawfully seize a cat if that action is reasonable and necessary for the protection of any person or animal (other than vermin) from injury or death.

For further information please contact Council on 02 4654 7777.

Council’s Animal Care Facility details:

Camden Council Animal Care Facility (Located at the rear of Rossmore Veterinary Hospital)
651 Bringelly Road, Rossmore NSW 2557

Hours of operation: Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm. Saturday & Sunday 9am – 12pm. Closed public holidays.